The Meaning of Money



I have always argued. What I mean is that since I can remember, if someone says something, I automatically take the opposite opinion, just for the sake of it. I'd like to say it has some higher purpose, to ensure all sides are considered, to play devil's advocate, to expose the grey between the black and white of our thoughts and opinions. But the reality is that it is just in my nature, and although it may result in some of those things, more often than not it just results in people thinking I'm a jerk.

I explain this aspect of my personality for the purpose of prefacing my subject today. I can never be sure if my stance on an issue is really my conviction, or a result of taking the unpopular side. Either way, here it is.

Money is important. There is a lot of inspiring stories and memes out there to expound the wisdom that almost everything is more important than money. Physical and mental health, family, friends, experiences, giving to your community, volunteering your time, the list goes on. And while I agree that just having money instead of any of those things may not be the best choice, the reality of our lives and society is that every single one of those things is exponentially easier to acquire and enjoy if you have a reasonable amount of cash.

Paying for a gym membership, counselling, family vacations, nights out with friends, theatre tickets, trips to the mountains, travel, (experiences I happen to enjoy), donating to causes, even finding time to volunteer when you could be working at a paying job instead, all cost money. And to spend money on those things, you need to have leftover after you've paid for food, lodging, utilities, transportation, insurance, basic health costs.

Lets just look at health. If you are living, as many of us are, watching your bank account like a hawk, deciding which bill needs to be paid next with the little you have, then you not only are not paying for a gym membership, you are buying the cheapest food at the supermarket, which let me tell you, is not the healthiest food at the supermarket. You are not buying workout clothes or even expensive new running shoes. You are not going to a yoga class, or learning to meditate to reduce your stress. You are not buying vitamins, green tea or maybe even the prescriptions your doctor suggests. You are just getting by, and that is all. Makes it a little harder to be healthy.

But its not all doom and gloom. Without any extra money, you can still do some of those things, they just require more effort. You can do yoga in your home, go for walks, look for sales, even see theatre for free in the park in the summer. Donations are expected at the "free" theatre in the park, which leaves one feeling guilty for not being able to give anything after enjoying the show. There is a lot of guilt in not having money, actually. Guilt that you can't give more, gifts, donations, even time, because you spend it working, looking for work, or worrying about how you will pay for the necessities. Guilt that you can't host your friends and family for those good times that are supposedly free. Guilt that your kids have to spend more time alone than they should, because you have to work extra hours to make ends meet.

Here is my point, if I have one. It is easy to expound the value of life without money when you have it. But let's be realistic about it. Money makes it easier for us to enjoy all of those aspects of life that make us happy. Would I give up my health, family, friends and experiences for more money? Why? Who are you willing to buy? I have an extra kidney. (I should not joke about things like that.) No. No, I wouldn't give anything up for cash. But I also am keenly aware of how much easier it is to enjoy every one of those things when my bank account is in good shape.