The Ultimate Demise of the Radio Star



Well, the Buggles predicted it, the end of radio as our primary source of music entertainment. But it wasn't really video that did it. What really killed the radio star is the invention of the internet.

I love listening to the radio. I have it on all day at home, in my car and most of the time while I'm at work. I have a favourite station, on which I enjoy the music they play and the hosts who carry one conversations. I like to hear what they are talking about, I like that listeners call in and text, even though I never do, and I like the songs they play. I am only mildly annoyed by the repetition that goes with radio station licensed formats. 

Here is the reason I love radio. They do all the thinking for me. I do not need to make a decision about what artists, songs or playlists I will listen to. I do not need to search on my computer or phone, I don't need to find a blue tooth speaker. I do not need to check why my device is not connected to my car stereo. I push one button and I'm set. Enjoying songs I enjoy and amusing anecdotes with no effort exerted on my part. Easy. Delightful.

The other four members of my family do not listen to the radio, save for when I have it on and I require them to remove their earbuds/headphones for dinner. They listen to music services online. Apple Music. Spotify. YouTube Music. Amazon Music. Some of them use more than one of these services on a regular basis. They choose the music they want to hear, and do not suffer through any songs that are not their favourites. They cannot stand to listen to any talking on the radio and will immediately change the station until they find a song. And they really do not understand why I insist on listening to music in such an antiquated way. 

I'm not going to argue the relative merits of finding a connection to your local community through radio hosts and local advertising. They would counter that they are impervious to marketing messages, being that they are never forced to see or hear more than 5 seconds of any commercial. I could ask them how they are ever going to hear new songs if they stick to their playlist. They would tell me they get new song suggestions based on their tastes, not the random requirements of a CRTC license and a music directors tastes. Then I'd get unreasonably mad, and say something super intelligent like "Because I said so!"

The thing is, I totally get it. I have had the reverse argument with people about TV. I NEVER watch cable television. (That's a lie, I watch hockey games on TV sometimes, only because the quality is better on a big screen than streaming.) If a program can't be found on a streaming service, I do not watch it until it can. I am highly annoyed by TV commercials, and scheduling, and waiting a week to watch more. (I actually rolled my eyes when I typed that last part.) And I know people who feel the same way about TV as I do about radio. They don't want to search for shows, or browse apps, or decide what they will watch. They just want to turn it on and watch whatever is available. And they watch the local TV news to get information and feel connected to their community. Sound familiar? And as familiar is my argument to them that it is so much more satisfying to choose your shows, to watch when you want, to get suggestions based on your recent choices. I get that the future is streaming when its television. But back off! I want my radio station!

In reality, I recognize the advantages of streaming music services and I fear I am in the minority in my feelings about radio. It seems almost inevitable that radio is not long to continue. But then again, they said video would kill radio, and that didn't happen. So, maybe there is still a chance that the internet will not kill it, either.