Success and Fear

Success is weird. At least for me it is. 

Things are going really well in our business right now. Almost...too well. How can things be going too well, you ask? Let me explain. I swear I'm not crazy. Or maybe I am.

Yesterday, I got an email from the School of Rock camps team saying my camps page on our micro-site is perfect. PERFECT! Today, our student count reached 250. TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY! We just onboarded two new instructors, bringing our staff count to 17. Our new space is looking great. We are planning a House Band trip to Ontario next summer. We are hiring a Music Director to help keep our school running well, instructors and students happy. Just really good things happening. And I am so excited about all of it. And just a little bit worried.

In our lives, when things seem to be going really well, it is my experience that something very bad usually follows shortly, to rattle the foundation. I don't think we are special in this phenomenon, I think that is how life is for most of us in this world. Because good things happen, and bad things happen, to everyone. Yet, I am always surprised by the good things, and waiting patiently for the bad things, knowing their arrival is imminent. 

There has been a lot of drama within this school since we opened five years ago. Just when we thought we had one situation dealt with, another one would begin, equally as destructive and demanding of our attention. You would guess Covid was the biggest of those dramatic moments, and you'd be right. But not by much. I'm not going to name name, because it is impolite and also because I actually don't blame any of the other people involved in those situations. We didn't know things, so many things. And we would handle everyone of those situations differently now. We have learned, I guess. I know we have learned. But still, this nagging feeling that every good day is followed by a bad one.

I have moments when the worry overwhelms me and I think "NO, NO, NO! Damn you, Universe, do not take this good away. We have earned this. We deserve this." But most of this time, I know that that is just life, that things are up and down for all of us, and we are capable of handling whatever comes our way. Right this minute, I am trying to be thankful for the lessons, and enjoy the good.